Sunday, June 7, 2015

Museum Sonobudoyo

Made a trip to the Museum Sonobudoyo today after having lunch at home. It's at Jl. Pangukuran and, though within the vicinity of more famous landmarks such as the Keraton, seems to be relatively unheard of. My taxi driver had no idea where it was, even after looking at my Google maps screenshot, and had to radio for help. After I checked my map I think an easy direction to understand would be "di Jalan Malioboro selatan" because it really is at the southern tip of that street. 

There's a wide variety of objects on display here in 13 different rooms. You start in the prehistory room (ruang prasejarah) and work your way through to the present. Along the way there are masks (topeng), traditional clothing, weapons, religious artifacts, toys (such as the ubiquitous congklak, i.e. the one for masak-masak). There is little information in English so a guided tour is necessary (and it's free anyway with your Rp 5000 ticket). 

Some of the interesting things on display:


13th century mirrors. Not for ping-pong! 


"Bukan Bento box!", said my guide. This was used for placing jewelry and precious stones before offering them to the gods. 



An elaborate set of utensils for chewing betel leaf/nuts (sirih) Very "Asian people" thing, as my guide said. Interesting language fact: a "foreword" in Indonesian is sometimes known as "sekapur sirih". 



Many tupengs. Including some from Bali. When I noted that they resembled the Ogoh-ogoh in Bali my guide said that Hari Nyepi is celebrated here in Jogja too! 



Mirip? 

On the language front, my guide spoke in Bahasa Indo but prodded me to go learn some Javanese because people will be more usil (nosy). Before leaving, I learnt how to say thank you in Javanese: Matur nuwun! 


1 comment: